• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake Is Much More Than A Pretty Picture

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%

Square Enix's Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake has felt a long time coming. Originally revealed during the studio's 35th-anniversary celebrations back in 2021, news of our return to Aliahan has been pretty scarce ever since. A progress update here, a rumour there, it has been a three-year wait in relative darkness but, finally, we're starting to see some light: the Remake now has a release date — 14th November 2024 — and a brand new trailer. All of a sudden, things are moving quickly. The big question is, was it worth the wait?

After exploring the opening locales for roughly 45 minutes, I'm pleased to answer in the affirmative. Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake is a stunning visual upgrade on the 1988 original (no surprises there) with a generous helping of quality-of-life improvements bringing it in line with even the series' most modern entries. Those who have played the original will find more than enough changes to warrant diving in all over again, while those who haven't might just find this to be the perfect introduction to the sizeable series.

1718761251340.png
As a brief recap, this is the third entry in what has become known as the 'Erdrick Trilogy', following a famed hero's quest to defeat the evil wizard Baramos. Thanks to the magic of the series' Star Wars-like timeline, this final chapter is, chronologically, the first story, so there's no homework required for those looking to dive in for the first time.

From what I saw, the original story has been faithfully replicated in this remake. My time with it only covered a small section of its plot (from first recruiting our party to the end of the Dreamer's Tower dungeon) but everything appeared just as I remembered it from the original version, a port of which is already available on Switch. Of course, there are new things to do peppered in here and there, but I'm not able to discuss those — we'll have to wait for Square Enix to share details closer to launch.

1718761339849-png.9750

This being the game I remember might just summarize my entire hands-on experience. To many, the OG Dragon Quest III is a game of wonder and adventure, but today's players may find the visuals a bit naff, the random encounters too frequent and long, and the menus too dense. Square Enix's HD-2D remake is not the game as it was, but the game as I recall it to be, taking everything that made the original so iconic and packing it into a much more palatable package for the modern adventurer.

The aim of the remake, we were told in an introductory message from producer Masaaki Hayasaka, was to bring Seeds of Salvation in line with modern-day Dragon Quest.

So just what has been repurposed here? First, let's address the pixel art elephant in the room. Yes, the visuals are gorgeous. Employing the same HD-2D style that we've seen in Octopath Traveler, Triangle Strategy, and Live A Live, Square Enix has completely rebuilt Chunsoft's visuals from the ground up. The character sprites pack in a wonderful amount of detail (that iconic dark, spiked hair has never looked so good) and the 3D environments hammer home the sense of adventure.

Dragon Quest's open plains will be a familiar sight to anyone who has touched the series, but gosh, are things more interesting now. Swapping the classic top-down journeying for something a little more isometric, the Remake puts more of your party's surrounding area on display to great effect. The forests are thick and lush, bodies of water ripple and flow past you, and mist whips off the top of icy mountains in a way that you could only imagine on the NES (or the uglier mobile version).

1718761148305.png

I did notice some frame drops when traversing busier dungeon areas, slowing my movement for a second or two before reverting to its usual state. It wasn't enough to detract from the gorgeous environments and I never noticed such drops in battle (not that the format would be interrupted by them), but the effect of these things always comes down to your personal tolerance — for me with this pre-release, it wasn't an issue.

The details are intoxicating and I could have happily spent the entirety of my preview time soaking up the sights of Aliahan. However, there were more improvements to behold, so I set out to find them.

The aim of the remake, we were told in an introductory message from producer Masaaki Hayasaka, was to bring Seeds of Salvation in line with modern-day Dragon Quest. And that realignment is exactly what I saw. A local and continental map can now be easily accessed with a simple tap of the 'Y' button. Save points are no longer limited to Kings, but are now also found in town Churches (an autosave is also available). An option for adjustable battle speeds and the introduction of Tactics (a series mainstay since Dragon Quest IV) means that you can blast through random encounters in seconds if you choose to. All these tweaks will feel like no-brainers for those who have played the wonderful Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, but they make this remake's gameplay a welcome improvement over the original.

1718761091937.png

Other features feel completely new. As we saw in the game's initial announcement, battles are packed with new animations, showcasing our party between actions and making the encounters feel that bit more immersive. Koichi Sugiyama's score has been rearranged, which brought back fond memories of the series' finest soundtracks and dare I say even improves upon them. I was also informed that the job system has been "modernized" for newer audiences, though with my party already set up for this preview, I wasn't given the opportunity to see it.

After 45 minutes, I'd only scratched the surface of what Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake has to offer. This is shaping up to be a gorgeous return journey, with additional features bringing things up to the standard that we'd want from the series in 2024. Compared to how long we've waited to this point, the journey from here to release is a short one, but we're already hankering to dive back in as soon as we can. November can't come quickly enough.

Attachments

• 1718761031488.png
    1718761031488.png
    462.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 1718761339849.png
    1718761339849.png
    432.2 KB · Views: 21

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back