• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hacking Paperclip RCM "jig"

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
Website
gameparadise.org
Credits
What I did was took a paperclip that fit right against the joycon rails per his instructions in the link. But I wanted a more "foolproof" version that I didn't have to fiddle with every time, so I took a pair of pliers and bent the pins in the shape in the images below to allow them to "snuggly" touch against the 1 and 10 pins.

I tried to take several shots to hopefully better convey the shape needed to do this:
upload_2018-4-25_23-17-54.png

upload_2018-4-25_23-18-10.png

upload_2018-4-25_23-18-27.png

The idea is to bend it in such a way that it touches the pins when you push it into the slot, while allowing for ease of connecting/removing:
Cue my terrible paint skillz:
upload_2018-4-25_23-20-4.png

The end result is a paperclip that I shaped so that I don't have to hold it or connect it in a specific way or angle. done properly, I can feel when it touches the pins, and so far getting the Switch to boot in RCM mode works flawlessly every time:

upload_2018-4-25_23-22-6.png

keep in mind that you need a paperclip at just the right size to where the clip itself touches against the inner portion of the railing. Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: Since everyone is liking this so far I decided to grab the only measurement tool I have. I hope the pics below help you guys out even more.

Keep in mind it was an inch measuring tape (sorry, metric users, you'll have to figure out the conversions yourself!):

upload_2018-4-26_0-13-14.png

EDIT2: some of you have expressed concerns about wearing out the pins using this method. While I don't exactly recommend inserting the pin 5,000 times, I feel rather confident that with the proper shape, and care when using, this wont be an issue. I have attached some pics I took showing the pins on my switch, with and without the paperclip. I tested this method at least 30 times before I felt comfortable enough to post instructions to share with everyone, and even as of today, the images should hopefully show that the pins don't look stressed at all, and that my paperclip isn't being "forced" in in anyway either:

upload_2018-4-26_18-54-0.png

That said, I am not responsible for your abuse of this method. Take proper care when making our own. I just wanted to help the community and figured this was an easy enough to create alternative to 3D printed jigs and wires. :)

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back