• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News Humble Games continues staff layoffs, claiming there will be “no impact” on operations

1721783349629.png

Game industry layoffs began to rise last year and haven't slowed down. In November 2023, IGN-owned Humble Games laid off a bunch of staff but a number was never confirmed. Another round of layoffs hit today and there is some confusion around it. One employee tweeted that "the entirety of Humble Games was laid off," while another posted on LinkedIn that it was "most" of Humble Games staff.

Hours later, someone over at Humble Games decided that they might as well try to clear up any confusion. A statement on social media reads:

"In these challenging economic times for indie game publishing, Humble Games has made the difficult but necessary decision to restructure our operations. This decision was not made lightly; it involved much deliberation and careful thought, with the goal of ensuring the stability and support of our developers and ongoing projects. Additionally, the restructuring of operations at Humble Games will have no impact on operations at Humble Bundle.

"We are acutely aware of the profound impact this decision has on our team members at Humble Games and deeply empathize with everyone affected. Our team's contributions have been world-class and invaluable, supporting the launch of our games since we started publishing in 2017. We are committed to navigating this transition with as much empathy and understanding as possible.

"Supporting our development partners and assisting former team members remains our top priority. We are committed to making this transition as smooth as possible for everyone involved. Thank you for your support and compassion during this challenging period. It is deeply appreciated."

The statement claims that the restructuring of operations causing the layoffs won't impact operations at the company, which is a load of hogwash that I'll get into later. It's odd that the phrase "Our team's contributions have been world-class and invaluable" goes together with the idea that getting rid of the team will be valuable. Someone explain the logic there. I don't see it. The employees deserve compassion. They have so much of mine that I feel physical pain for them. The big bosses at Humble Games, however, can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned. Preferably while being stomped on by fiery gremlins with sharp, pointed, crusty toenails.

I fear we are almost numb to the news of video game industry layoffs, which is why I'm tackling a topic I generally don't write about for the mere fact it hits really close to home: my husband is a UI designer for apps and games, and he's experienced surprise layoffs three times in the last six years. He's spent over a year trying to find employment in his field. No, that doesn't mean he's not trying. Hundreds (and hundreds and hundreds…) of applications and resumes have been sent, over a hundred interviews have been done, and those seeking employees say it all looks good until things fall apart the following day. The layoffs aren't from small companies. Big media corporations are only interested in making more money more quickly, completely losing the plot that money can only be made when quality employees are working. And the timing! Whether it be the week before Christmas or just after the CEO cashed a record-breaking bonus, most of these layoffs feel less than humane.

This situation puts strain on individuals, their self-worth, their mental health, their finances, their families… it is devastating. It hurts to see so many talented people being treated like they are less than nothing. It kills me that my extremely talented, sociable, hardworking, reliable, and helpful spouse feels like he has nothing to contribute to the world anymore. I worry about the path some may be led down as a result.

1721783399083.png

Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical (Summerfall Studios) was arguably a critical hit, evening earning a Grammy nomination.
How long will we believe these big companies when one claims operations will be unaffected? There is no way that is possible. One: suddenly losing dozens of people from your company will also have an impact, even if it is just the disruption of them having to pack up their stuff and go. Two: these people all had work to do—and the work needs to go somewhere. Anyone remaining has likely seen an increased workload without a promotion or pay increase. Three: giving Humble Games the benefit of the doubt when it says all upcoming games will still be published, those developers had working relationships with the publisher's employees. Those developers rely on people who are suddenly gone, and you can be sure there were no proper handoffs because of the "surprise" nature of the layoffs.

With all that being said: if Humble Games does launch more titles, please consider purchasing the games because the developers have worked so hard. None of the studios deserve to be ignored by consumers because someone believed in a seemingly trustworthy company like Humble Games.

Upcoming games still set to be published by Humble Games include:
  • Billie Bust Up (Giddy Goat Games)
  • Breeze in the Clouds (Stormy Nights Interactive)
  • Monaco 2 (Pocketwatch Games)
  • Totemic (Collage Games)
  • Never Alone 2 (E-Line Media)
  • Wizard of Legend II (Dead Mage)

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back