• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3's 'Grand Festival' Was The Perfect Goodbye

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
1726525564499.png

I was a latecomer to the Splatoon series. If you had asked me three years ago what my favorite Turf War stage is, the 45 minutes I had spent with Splatoon 2 might have been able to cough up "the boat one" at a push, but that's only if I was really firing on all cylinders. The Inklings freaked me out, the motion controls made me dizzy, and it was all too fast for my little brain to handle. But then Splatoon 3 came along and stole my heart.

What it was that inspired me to pick up the third entry, I will never know. Maybe it was the new yellow/purple colorway, maybe it was the explanatory Directs, maybe it was Smallfry and his customizable hairdo. Whatever it was, I'm pleased that I decided to give it another shot because, for the past two years, it has been one of my favorite games on Switch.

It would be reasonable to assume, then, that the end of "regular updates" for the title would be enough to leave me feeling a little down. And yet, here I am, smiling as I wave it off into the sunset. Why? Because the Grand Festival happened, and I think that it might have just been Nintendo's perfect goodbye.

1726526770246.png

Like anyone else with so much as a vague interest in the series, I had a sneaking suspicion that the Grand Festival was going to be one to remember. It'd only take the briefest of looks at @SplatoonNA's 3,724 tweets highlighting the event (that's my rough estimation) to know it would be a big one, and a big one it was.

This was so much more than a 72-hour Splatfest — though it very much was a 72-hour Splatfest — it was an all-out party, a celebration of everything that makes Splatoon great and a complete takeover from title screen to Turf War. Seriously, even the opening 'Splatoon 3' icon was replaced by a sign advertising the Grand Festival.

Nintendo pulled off some cool changes on the Splatfest side of things, with Tricolor Battles available from the jump, increased 10x Battle frequency, and a new Grand Splatlands Bowl stage thrown in for good measure. Still, the real star of the show was the central stages hub, an area so full of activity and celebration that it was difficult to walk around without a grin plastered across my face.

1726526813379.png

This hub was the titular festival, a multi-stage venue complete with live music, merch stands and enough individually-moving crowd members to put the Eras Tour to shame (no, Off the Hook didn't play Love Story, much to my disappointment). I have never been particularly deep on Splatoon music, but even I took some time to stand and sway with the crowd as the Squid Sisters took to the stage on the opening day or as Now or Never Seven performed their headline set.

And I see you, Splatoon team, flexing your technical muscles. Splatoon 3 has always been a rather pretty game that holds its own remarkably well given the number of simultaneous moving parts, but the Grand Festival took things up a level with its crowds, lighting, falling ink and more. I want 'Switch 2' as much as anyone else, but it's always nice to be reminded of just how much Nintendo's little hybrid is capable of.

It was just all so full of joy, and it's clear that I wasn't alone in my adoration. Turning back to the internet this morning revealed waves of similar-minded squid kids soaking up the fun, taking in the music, and uncovering the new area's secrets. See for yourself:

Never one to waste a good bit of design, Nintendo has even given us a backdoor pass to sneak in and relive the celebrations now that the event is over. If, like me, you too found yourself in the Grand Festival's clutches, you can whip over to Splatsville's amiibo area, scan any Squid Sisters, Off the Hook, or Deep Cut amiibo, and get the option to travel back in time to watch the shows or explore the hub all over again. Come on, that's neat.

There aren't many Nintendo games that could go out with such a bang, but for Splatoon 3, the Grand Festival perfectly fit the bill. Of course, we still have a handful of regional Splatfests, Big Runs, and Eggstra Work shifts to look forward to, but as the last bit of new in Nintendo's newest series, it doesn't feel like a bad way to say goodbye.

So long, Splatoon 3, and thanks for all the squids.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back