• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Sunset Hills Preview: A delightfully diverting tale is just beginning

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
1722011591586.png

Cozy games, by design, appeal to many because of the heartwarming atmosphere they emit. However, it takes more than attractive aesthetics to keep players invested. A game that occasionally challenges us through emotive stories and/or puzzles, as well as creating a dynamic world of NPCs, has two of the key components of any successful cozy title.

Thankfully, Sunset Hills supplies both in abundance.

Allow me to set the scene: this visually enchanting game tells the story of Nico as he travels to visit ex-army comrades. Along the way, Nico will meet an assortment of characters and ultimately help them in one way or another.

We traverse Nico's journey alongside him, immersed in a universe of hand-drawn design. Without a shadow of a doubt, the visuals of Sunset Hills are its crowning glory. Not that I wish to do a disservice to the story told, my words are only intended to emphasise how stunning this game is.

There's such depth to the streets we get lost down. What could have otherwise been a flat but beautiful experience, comes to life through the sound effects of Nico's shoes clicking against the cobblestones, or the way the engine of the fruit truck splutters as it adjusts speed. There's so much ambient sound that makes you feel native to this world as opposed to an external participant, albeit an active one.

Oh, and are you active! As you guide Nico on his travels, you quickly find yourself fetching, carrying, and sweet talking your way through this tale, forever destined to be an errand boy. Fortunately, the vibrance of the characters and their unique personalities keep the grind from becoming wearisome. That said, you need to be prepared for a lot of back and forth if you're to join Nico, as this is easily the main gameplay mechanic.

Still, while you must go above and beyond to uncover Nico's true reasons for revisiting old friends, it feels like a journey worth taking. I've only played the demo, so I can't say what else is in store for Nico, however, I find myself still thinking about his story long after the demo ended. The canine writer, dressed in his suit and tie, intrigues me because I've yet to figure out what his end goal is, besides longing to reconnect with his past.

My only issue with the game is its localization, as some of the translations need editing. There's nothing here that hinders enjoyment, there's simply a need for a translator to come in and refine certain turns of phrase, etc. Having briefly spoken with the developers about said language barrier, I learnt that this is an area of the game which is already being looked at and improved upon.

When exactly Nico's full journey will launch remains unknown. Although Sunset Hills' Steam page says "Q3 2024", without a fixed date, we're somewhat in the dark about when we can continue adventuring at Nico's side. While I don't like the idea of waiting for this game for too long, considering how much I already adore what I've played thus far, I'm willing to practice the art of patience if it means getting the very best out of this experience. Sunset Hills is worth waiting for, of that I'm certain.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back