This creates a channel forwarder for your system menu that loads your homebrew app and usable with Fakemote. - Fakemote allows you to use up to 2 controllers connected via USB. This assumes you have the Fakemote cIOS already installed on your wii as a cIOS - https://gameparadise.org/threads/re...-from-the-input-of-usb-game-controllers.1519/ - thank you @xerpi

BRICK disclaimer - the following involves WAD editing and could render your console useless! - Ensure you have installed PriiLoader to be used as your escape hatch!
PC tools required - CustomizeMii, ModMii (where would we be without it! thank you @XFlak )
My setup - original wii, Wiiflow lite v5.5.4.1, cIOS247[58]-d2x-v11-beta1-FM051-[v65535] - the following has not been tested for vwii on a Wii U.

1. Find any channel forwarder WAD that "works" with Fakemote (FM), to be used as your "Base" WAD. (You can test for a working WAD by changing the start-up IOS to your FM cIOS in CustomizeMii). Or just use this one - it works - https://gameparadise.org/threads/another-genplus-gx-forwarder.7293/

2. Run ModMii to create a small program (.dol) for the forwarding function to forward to your particular homwebrew /emulator app. Load ModMii and follow these menu options - A, F, 1, 1B, [enter path to your homebrew], A, M, [name your dol file], then go to downloads option "D". Save the .dol file - it will be required shortly. - (Sidenote - option 1B for v12 works - option 1 for v14 did not work for me).

3. Run CustomizeMiii, and under source WAD, load in your base WAD.

4. Go to the option tab, and under "new dol", select the .dol you created with ModMii.

5. Go to options tab and update the title ID (unique identifier) e.g. for WiiSx emulator I entered "WPSX" just to stay in keeping with https://www.gametdb.com/Wii/WPSX. (Don't give it a title ID that conflicts with one of your existing channels).

6. Under the options tab, change the start-up to the cIOS where your Fakemote was installed (e.g. I installed mine to slot 247).

7. Go to the title tab and give your channel forwarder a name.

8. This next step is about the looks! (the channel banner, animation and sound). The design of your BASE WAD will likely not match what your intended target homebrew app is. You can use CustomizeMii to give it the desired look. One easy way is to locate a WAD you like the look of, let's call it your "cosmetic" WAD. Go to the source tab, in customizeMii. Under the drop-down options for "banner", "icon" and "sound" path, navigate to your cosmetic WAD for each of these.

9. Hit the "Create WAD" option and save your new WAD - copy it to your wii, e.g via sd card.

10. Install your new WAD to the Wii system using your favourite WAD manager.

11. Launch your new channel via the system menu.

Wiiflow - my preferred option for usage

You can also launch your newly created forwarder channel under Wiiflow.
The channel can be found along with your other channels under the "Real Nand" section.
  • Under the settings for your forwarder channel, ensure that the cIOS is set to where your FM cIOS is installed (e.g 247 in my case).
  • I experience better compatibility if I also set the wiiflow start-up cIOS to my FM cIOS, under the general wiiflow settings.
  • Interesting sidenote - if you use wiiflow in this way, to launch your custom forwarder channel then you don't actually need to change the original WAD's start-up IOS to that of your FM cIOS slot. It seem the loader, wiiflow, overrides the IOS in which the channel is booted.
  • If wiiflow allowed us to set a cIOS startup for homebrew plugins, as it does for wii software and channels, then the above steps may not be necessary.
While there are some occasional glitches of the controller not connecting at start (or sometimes disconnecting if left idle, I have experienced generally positive results.