• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News Xbox on Bringing Exclusives to PS5: The Industry Is Changing for All of Us

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
1724252338595.png

Xbox boss Phil Spencer never misses an opportunity to speak publicly, and at Gamescom today he's been chatting as part of an official livestream. Asked specifically about his company's decision to bring Indiana Jones and the Great Circle to PS5, after subsidiary Bethesda renegotiated its license with Disney to exclude Sony's system, he admitted there's a lot of pressure on the industry to find new growth vectors – and he suggested things will change for all platform holders.

"What I see when I look is that our franchises are getting stronger [and] our Xbox console players are as high this year as they've ever been," he claimed. "So, I look at it, and I say, 'Okay, our player numbers are going up for the console platform. Our franchises are as strong as they've ever been.' And we run a business. Like, it's definitely true inside of Microsoft that the bar is high for us in terms of the delivery that we have to give back to the company. We get a level of support from the company that's just amazing in what we're able to go and do."

Xbox has been on an unprecedented spending spree over the past five or so years, burning close to $100 billion on multiple publishers and game developers. While it doesn't declare the numbers, it's also expected to have spent large sums of money on Xbox Game Pass, which it claims is sustainable but has had a demonstrable impact on software sales.

"I think as an industry right now, there's a lot of pressure. It's been growing for a long time and now people are looking for new ways to grow," he continued. "I think for us, as players and as fans, we just have to anticipate there's going to be more change in how some of the 'traditional' ways games were built and distributed. That's going to change for all of us. But the end result has to be better games that more people can play. If we're not focused on that, then we're focused on the wrong thing."

As is often the case with executives, there are a lot of words here which don't really amount to much. It appears Spencer is suggesting more of its games will be ported to PlayStation, although he stopped short of naming any names. It also seems like he's expecting his rivals to plot a similar path, and to be fair, Sony has been porting its games to PC and is even bringing LEGO Horizon Adventures to Nintendo Switch.

Either way, you can infer a lot from what the suit said here: Microsoft, as we all know, is pulling the Xbox division's purse strings – and it wants some of its enormous investment back.

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back