• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardware Hacking [DIY MODCHIP] Nimbug M0 SAMD21 Dev Board

admin

Chad
Staff member
85%
After trying to get my hands on a v1 internal payload injector, resorting to ordering an RCMx86 from AliExpress, and realizing it was a bizarre knockoff that didn't even use a SAMD21 chip, I was sad. So sad that I didn't even want to mess with trying to order another. No, I accepted that Nintendo has done an impeccable job of enforcing its policies around the sale of these little devices. While I could probably find one that's updatable over UF2 (and therefore compatible with Fusée Suite) eventually, I figured I could probably make my own for cheaper than I could buy it anyway. And I was right!

Please give a warm welcome to:

nimbug-icon.png

Nimbug M0 - The World's Smallest SAMD21 Development Board*

Download Here

PCB_Front.png

PCB_Back.png

PCB_Dimensions.png

Schematic.png

*probably ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I designed a PCB (an improvement on the Rebug SwitchME M0) and ordered 30 (0.6mm thick) for $5 from JLCPCB with the slow ~$3 shipping. Then I ordered the parts from DigiKey, enough to make 3 boards (because shipping was way more than the BoM cost, and there were price breaks on most components).

Improvements over the Rebug SwitchMe M0:
  • Solderable by hand without reflow soldering. (You will need flux and solder wick though.)
  • Fiducials make it ready for automated production.
  • Careful "repair-friendly" layout prevents ripped pads from interrupting signal flow.
  • Exposed solder pads are anchored by vias, reducing the chance of wires ripping them off.
  • Pads are more easily labeled with ease of installation in mind. (U = USB, J = Joy-Con, V = Vol+)
  • Pads unused in a modchip install are moved to mini-pads, allowing the other pads to be bigger for ease of soldering.
  • The APA102 "DotStar" data and clock lines are broken out onto mini pads. In case you wanted them!
  • Seeing as most modern modchip software has a method for entering bootloader mode without the reset button, it was omitted.
    • The R pad is the reset pin if you do want it. It's right next to ground (G), and some tweezers can act as a temporary reset button.
  • It's got a cute little bug mascot too! ;)
IMG_20240613_054129390_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240613_054240607_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240615_111427300_HDR.jpg

You can upload any software written for the Rebug SwitchME M0, and following the pinout chart, you can work out which pins correspond to the Rebug pads. If you're installing as a modchip, use this image (ignore the function descriptions, they are for an experimental minimalist modchip software I'm working on called Hekate-NIMBOOT):

Nimbug_M0.png

Here is my install pic (Kapton tape removed so you can see):

IMG_20240615_090428896_HDR.jpg

You can make these yourself if you want! Just order the PCBs from JLCPBC (or similar), then order the components from DigiKey (or similar), and finally solder them according to the images! After that, you will have to flash the UF2 bootloader with a SAM programmer (you can use a Raspberry Pi or another SAMD board like the MKRZERO). Finally, you can follow the instructions to install your preferred modchip software, such as Fusée Suite.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in buying these pre-assembled and flashed! Of course, I won't be selling them with functional modchip software, but they would have the standard UF2 bootloader, allowing you to upload any code you want. (I made an Arduino board definition file, so you can easily program it from the Arduino IDE, too.)

I hope you all find this useful, or at least interesting!

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back