• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying GameParadise! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News GTA V story DLC was cancelled due to GTA Online's popularity, says former Rockstar developer

1720212316130.png

In an interview with the SanInPlay YouTube channel, Joe Robino, former senior camera artist and virtual cinematographer at Rockstar, confirmed that a GTA V story DLC was in the works. It would feature Trevor Philips in a central role. But the project was cancelled due to the popularity and money-making factor of GTA Online. Some of the DLC's elements even ended up in GTA Online, Robino says.

Below are some excerpts from the interview:

A lot of the team went to do Red Dead Redemption 2 right away and I took on this other project that was a standalone DLC for GTA that never came out and it was kick ass. That was my thing. I was one of the main editors, camera artists, and on-stage stuff. We split our teams into two. I stayed on GTA Online and then this DLC, which Steven Ogg was a very important part of.

And then some of the team overlapped and went to RDR2 early on, and then we just kind of did this [flipped motion], because when that game got shelved, we spent so much money… a lot of that stuff though did end up making it I believe into later iterations of GTA Online, I think. So it's not like they wasted it.

It was really really good. But when GTA Online came out it was so much of a cash cow and people were loving it so much that it was hard to make an argument that a standalone DLC would outcompete that. I think looking back now you could probably do both. But that was a business decision they made. I was a little upset about that. That actually was a lot of the reason for me being a little sour at that time. Because I was like yo, WTF guys? This s**t's awesome. Let's keep going. Let's finish this s**t.

This report corroborates with what Steven Ogg, the actor who played Trevor Philips, said in an interview. "Trevor was going to be undercover, he was working with the feds," Ogg said. "We did shoot some of that stuff with 'James Bond Trevor', where he's still kind of a f**k-up, but he's doing his best. Then it just disappeared and they never did it, they never followed up on it."

While we likely won't see the release of the DLC, would you have liked to see a story expansion for GTA V?

:arrow: SOURCE

Recent Content

Newest Downloads

Tutorials

Back